Thursday, September 5, 2013

Learning from One Another

The past two weeks have been busy with many opportunities for learning.  I have conducted several "Lunch and Learn" sessions with CTE teachers focused on the features and benefits of using Evernote to stay organized.  Each session, I leave with suggestions and ideas to further my use of the tool and also wonderful ideas for using the tool with students to help them in their learning process.  I appreciate the opportunities to learn from my teachers each and every time we meet!

Yesterday marked the first late-start day of the school year where Multiple School Professional Learning Communities (MSPLC's) came together to focus on the critical work of student achievement.  I appreciate the efforts of the MSPLC leaders in conducting agenda-driven meetings and asking critical questions about learning taking place in their classrooms.  As we continue the year and our focus on effective MSPLC's, I strongly suggest revisiting the PLC Agreements.

I also have 3 focus areas that I would recommend for all CTE MSPLC's for the 2013-2014 school year:

First and foremost, I recommend each MSPLC spends time creating explicit, purposeful SMART goals.  It may be wise to develop a long-term, annual SMART goal, as well as short-term goals that can drive the agenda topics and ensure meaningful conversation and collaboration.

Last year, you all did a fantastic job of determining what we wanted our CTE students to learn and understand.  In addition, each MSPLC created or tuned a minimum of one common assessment.  This year, I challenge your groups to move from PLC Questions 1 and 2 and truly focus your time and efforts on Questions 3, 4 and 5.

As we embark on Year 2 of district-wide PLC's, I encourage you and your team members to ask for help and support when needed.  Invite process observers and advocate for the learning your group needs to transform from a working team to a truly collaborative team focused on the critical work of student achievement.

Please continue to share your struggles and successes!  We can all learn from one another and achieve the mission of ensuring all students are capable, curious and confident who understand and respond to the ever-changing world!


No comments:

Post a Comment